Wednesday 24 February 2010

In Which DB Gets Mercilessly Thrown Around but Still Ends Up Looking Like a Princess

It's been a while since I last blogged but you'll all be pleased to hear that the terrible stomach infliction that rendered me near useless has moved on to some other poor victim and I am back to subjecting my body to all kinds of filth (mainly grape and grain with the odd cocoa bean chucked in for good measure)
Not so good to hear is the news that I have been unmercilessly thrown around from pillar to post like a rag doll. I feel battered and bruised and fear that my aching bones are are going to be as stiff as a ferociously whipped egg white by the morning. I am sat here covered in stick on heat pads that I resemble a patchwork quilt. But worry ye not, The Significant Other has not turned into a testosterone fuelled monster taken to putting his wench in her place. Alas, it is my choice of work companion that is to blame. The four legged friend (or not on this occassion)...the horse!!
I understand that I have no-one else to blame for my choice of career, and that dealing with young thoroughbred racehorses is always going to be teamed with some degree of danger and uncertainty, but to be flung to the ground three times in a row is more than a woman of the ripe old age of thirty...something...can take! To add insult to injury the lady cashier at my bank asked me today if I had life insurance. Does she know something I don't?! Then again, after today's near death experiences, I think she may have a point.
But, less of the melodramatics, as every cloud has a silver lining and all that. Today I tried on the first cotton fitting of my dress and I can see for the first time what I have until this moment carried around in my head as merely a dream until now. To see something so desired brought to life like that is a truly fantastic and emotional feeling. This dress is unique to me. It is designed by me to be worn only be me and will hold a wealth of memories and emotions within its fabric for years to come. I can feel butterflies as I write this and I am not usually one to get so excited by cotton!
So I may have come to my mother's studio battered, defeated and sore from head to toe, but I stood in front of that mirror, back straight, stomach pulled in and beaming from ear to ear. You can buck the princess off but she will always come back fighting to strike a pose!

No comments:

Post a Comment